Thursday, March 14, 2013

A letter to Pege & Steve

There was a tribute to Peter Harvey on the television the other night. They showed a clip from one of his last interviews.

He spoke candidly about his emotions and commented that it's against Australian culture to be so open about such things.

Isn't it funny that we leave out the important stuff a lot of the time. To spare the embarrassment of showing emotion? I'm not sure.

Perhaps I leave out emotional things to be polite. To spare the receiver any messy thoughts which haven't been thunk through properly.

The other day I got a letter from a couple I bumped into while I was in Tasmania.



I have a lot of time for Pege and Steve. Talking with them both is like slipping on an old, comfortable pair of shoes. It feels like home the minute they're on.

The card was a tribute to the thoughtfulness & kindness of them both.

Here is what I should've written in reply:

Dearest Pege & Steve,

Thank you so much for your card and the thoughts it contained.

It's funny how things over the Christmas period happened but it shows just how much Heavenly Father knows me and what I need. Even though I was so unwell everything happened just as it should've and there was an entire army of people to help and support me.

I feel stronger and healthier physically and especially mentally now that I know everything is finally solved.

It was lovely to be able to speak with you both - even for a brief moment.

When I saw you at church it made me happy to remember how much of a soft spot Dad had for you both.

Over the years and after getting married and moving interstate it's always nice to be able to go home and feel the closeness I get from mixing with people who knew Dad. Like each of you holds a little piece of him. A little reminder of the great man he was, and is.

So it is always a pleasure to see you and never a burden to chase you both down whenever the opportunity arrises.

I am thankful for your prayers and again thank you for your card.

Jess x

who knows what I'll write when I reply to the beautiful card they sent me. Perhaps I won't reply at all. After all, there isn't always a need to.


No comments: